History Tales for Sunday, February 7: History of the Dungeness Lighthouse
Chad Kaiser, general manager of the New Dungeness Light Station Association, will talk about the history of the Dungeness Lighthouse at the Clallam County Historical Society’s History Tales presentation. The program takes place on Sunday, February 7, at 2:30 p.m. at the FirstUnitedMethodistChurch, 110 East 7th Street, Port Angeles. Parking and entry to the church’s social hall are on Laurel Street.
The New Dungeness Light Station has been in continuous operation since its lard oil lamp was lit for the first time on December 14, 1857. Captain Thomas Boyling and Henry Blake were the first appointed keepers. When Boyling resigned, Blake took over as head keeper until September 18, 1868. A fog bell was used from 1857 to 1874 when it was replaced with a steam fog signal. In 1894 a separate oil house for the storage of kerosene was built; it still exists today. Responsibility for navigational aids was transferred to the U.S. Coast Guard in 1939. In 1993, the New Dungeness Light Station was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1994, the non-profit New Dungeness Light Station Association was created. Volunteers have donated over 80,000 hours since that time to operate and maintain the light station. Their dedication helps to keep this national treasure’s history alive.